How It Works
- A student is referred to READ 718 by a teacher, school administrator, or parent/guardian.
- The student and parent/guardian agree to have the student participate in tutoring sessions at READ 718 twice per week for 80 minutes for a minimum of 10 weeks.
- The student’s literacy skills are assessed by a certified reading specialist and an instructional plan is created. Contact with the student’s teacher is made to get any relevant information about the student’s literacy needs.
- The student is matched with a dedicated, trained volunteer who will work on the identified areas of weakness, as well as engage in reading for pleasure with the student. Volunteers will also help student find books and magazines that interest him, discuss what they have read, and generally support the student’s reading life.
- After 10 weeks, the student’s literacy skills will again be assessed to evaluate progress and determine if ongoing instruction is necessary.